Equations not updating using SolidWorks Explorer Rename Tool in SW 2023

I am having a lot of issues with equations since upgrading from SW 2020 to 2023. I have several starter files that I have equations and variables to update the parts in the contest of an assembly. Some update based on a variable value and some update with links from dimensions from part A driving the same type feature in part B. In the past to use these starters I would copy all the part and assembly files to the new project folder with a sub folder named Prints where all the drawings are saved. After copying all the files I would then use the SolidWorks windows explorer Rename tool and this has always worked until I upgraded to 2023 a few weeks ago and now if I use this process none of the equations are updating none of the filename values in the equations are updating they are still labeled the starter files names. After contacting support they came up with a workaround which required me to turn on the Rename files from the Feature Manager Tree and then open up the layout assembly and rename the parts from there. This would update all the filename references in the equations and allowed the files to properly update. However it completely trashes the links to the drawings so now I have to re-link every starter file back to there drawings. I am curious if anyone else is having these issues and if so did you find a workaround that doesn't lose all the links to your drawings. I am very dissapointed in this update and I wish I had stayed on SW 2020 it was much more stable and I never had these issues with my equations with it and using the SW windows rename tools would update the equations, variables and drawings but now SolidWorks has made some new function that ends up costing engineers more time then improving anything.

If this continues I'm seriously thinking about dropping my subscription for SolidWorks Premium which cost me well over $2,000 per year but unfortunately I'm not seeing the benefit anymore.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• GoEngineer Employees

Tony,

I wonder if opening up the 'starter files'  in SolidWorks and then just using 'pack and go' (it can grab all the drawings at the same time) and re-naming everything there and targeting your new output folder would solve this issue?  Skip the manual rename outside of SolidWorks and have the files in session when doing these types of operations.  Would be worth a shot.

Jesse